Friday, July 23, 2010

I can learn from t.v. shows?

So this darling girl names Chelsea wants me to blog again. :) And it's probably a good thing because I've had a lot on my mind lately.
So lets start with something not serious. This summer I started to watch the television show Lost. One of my closest friends has been a fanatic for years so I decided to give it a try. I am now hooked. I've completed two and a half seasons and still have another 2 and a half to go.
For those of you who have never seen Lost, it is basically a story about survivors of a plane crash on an unknown island. What I love most about Lost is the first impressions the show gives you of the characters in the first few episodes. And slowly, through flashbacks and different situations, you discover that those characters are not at all what you expected them to be. I guess you could say that is symbolic of how people in the real world make assumptions about one another. From watching this show, I have begun to appreciate how wrong I can be about a person that I might "judge" at first.
Another thing I love about Lost, is that many of the characters that were complete strangers to each other when the plane crashed, end up having strange connections to one another. The idea of life being a "small world after all" is blatantly present in the plot line and characterization of Lost.
Yet another reason why I love this show, is the symbolism of hope that is displayed repeatedly through out the show. I have come to find that a lot of the characters on the island have been given second changes and hope from the lives they led else where. The island, being completely cut off from the "real world" can sometimes be a sanctuary for these people (that is when the island is not bringing terror and tragedy to the people).
I guess the reason I wanted to share why I love this show is to justify the amount of time I have spent watching it. It's kind of frightening how addicted one can get from watching a television show. But in the end, I know that in some sort of weird way, I am learning a lot about life from this show. So maybe wasting my time is worth while after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment