Sunday, October 3, 2010

This I Believe Essay

So I had to write one of these for one of my classes this semester and I thought I would share it with everyone.

Let ‘em Dream

I believe in childish dreams. Children are invincible. Nothing stands in the way of their imagination. Until told otherwise, they believe they can do anything they want. If I had it my way, people would always have the courage and power to dream. Having innocence and “reaching for the stars” are precious characteristics that are only okay to have when we are young. It is my belief that these qualities are important in becoming successful and truly happy human beings.
Think about it. When we were little, it was fine to say you wanted to be an astronaut or a professional basketball player. No one wants to be the bearer of bad news and tell you the odds of this actually happening. In kindergarten, we are encouraged to dream big; as we become adults we soon come to believe that we should choose “what is practical,” or what “has a lot of job opportunity.”
Being a music major was something I have been hesitant about doing for a long time. I was reluctant because people have always been telling me the odds of making this a reality. At first, it was, “you’ll never get into that school.” The cynicism continued to, “There are no jobs open right now in the arts.” I started to think about other options, back up plans for a college major. I considered psychology because of my love for people and how they connect to each other. I thought about photography because I absolutely love to take pictures and explore the beauty in all things. But when it came time to make a decision, my heart chose music.
Music is something that brings me such joy. I tried to imagine not having it in my life on a daily basis and wondered how I would be able to cope with losing something so precious to me. I still am unsure what I will do with music in the future but I know that something will point me in the right direction. My mom used to tell me that the happiest people were those who do what they love everyday, not those who have nice houses and vehicles. I realized that music is something that warms my soul and brings me closer to God. I believe that when I play my music, I am praising Him and sharing my talents with the world.
I chose to take a leap of faith and dream. I chose to pursue what I love, no matter how rough the road ahead might be. No matter how difficult the classes, or intimidating the other students, I chose to dream. I continue to choose to dream on a daily basis. I get excited about things that make me happy and think of all the wonderful things that this life could bring me. I choose to dream because that’s what I believe in. I believe in the child like way of dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment